Woodlands Secondary School was established in 1982 with 205 students and a pioneer batch of 13 staff as a Government co-educational school to cater to the growing population in Woodlands and Marsiling area. It was initially sited in Si Ling Secondary School’s premises. In 1984, the school relocated to its current premises at 8 Admiralty Road, and was officially opened on 20th September. The school has a distinction of being the northernmost school in Singapore just a stone’s throw away from the Singapore-Johore Causeway.
Since its inception in 1982, Woodlands Secondary School has become a familiar icon in the neighbourhood. The first Principal of the school Mrs Narayanaswamy encouraged every student to develop to his or her ability. She believed in the age old adage ‘Mens sana in corpore sano’ (sound minds in sound bodies) and this has shaped the way the school has grown over time being student-centric in its approach and providing an all-round education for each and every Woodlander that passes through its doors. Over the years, the school has sustained the legacy of delivering value added outcomes for students, gathered the reputation of excellence in sports creating a niche for itself in football and sepak takraw, the uniform groups as well as the performing arts.
In 1999, Woodlands Secondary School became a single-session school and in 2003, the school underwent PRIME upgrading and was designated as an Innovation Centre for the cluster. Under the recommendation of the Principal Mrs Yap Ng Hwee Heng, the entrance of the school was shifted to face a less busy road and the address of the school changed to 11 Marsiling Road. In 2006, a new school vision of Weave, Dream, Lead was adopted as it progressed ahead to new peaks of excellence in educating each Woodlander that joins its ranks.
In 2012, the school celebrated its 30th anniversary and achieved the Singapore Quality Class (SQC) award. It also welcomed the addition of the Indoor Sports Hall as well as the synthetic turf field to the school facilities.
Woodlands Secondary School was accorded Applied Learning Programme in Real Food, Real Science, and Learning for Life Programme in Active Global Citizens Programme in 2015.
In 2016, the school achieved the School Distinction Award (SDA) and four Best Practice awards in Teaching and Learning, Student All-Round Development, Character and Citizenship Education, and Staff Well-Being and Development. The school crafted a new vision, mission and set of values that was launched in 2018. The new vision ‘Every Woodlander a Gift to Society’ speaks of its aspiration of being a hope building school, a school that enables success for all.
- Mrs Jayam Narayanaswamy (1982 to 1986)
- Mrs Rita Tong Hoi Chak (1986 to 1991)
- Mr Richard Dawson (1991 to 1995)
- Mr Leong Kah Chong (1995 to 2001)
- Mrs Yap-Ng Hwee Heng (2001 to 2008)
- Mrs Julia Woo Keen Fai(2008 to 2012)
- Miss Tan Ke-Xin (2012 to 2018)
- Mrs Tay Yang Fern (2018- Present)
Establishment of Woodlands Secondary School with 205 student and temporarily housed at the premises of Siling Secondary School.
- Relocation of school to 8 Admiralty Road
- Declared open by Mr Lee Yiok Seng then MP for Bukit Panjang and Senior Parliamentary Secretary of Ministry of National Development on 20th September.
WDL won the ‘B’ Division Boys and ‘C’ Division Girls National Cross Country Championships.
- Became single-session school.
- Formation of the Pupils’ Creed and Pledge.
- Underwent PRIME upgrading.
- Entrance of the school changed to face Marsiling Road and addressed changed to 11 Marsiling Road.
- Designated Innovation Centre for the Cluster
Visit by PM Lee Hsien Loong.
- WDL entered Singapore Book of Records for completing largest origami roses display consisting of 90 111 roses measuring 15m by 12.5m.
- Official Opening of the Indoor Sports Hall by founding Principal Mrs. Nararanaswamy and Mrs Julia Woo.
- Celebration of 30th anniversary.
- Official Opening of School Synthetic Field by GOH Mr. Fandi Ahmad.
- Initiated Cohort Based Overseas VIA for Sec 3 students.
- Our Pioneer Teacher Mr. Thirumaran Thangaraju awarded the Most Inspiring Tamil Teacher Award
- Awarded the School Distinction Award with 4 Best Practices
- Launch of the Woodlands Heritage Trail as part of SG50 Celebrations.
WDL celebrates its 35th Anniversary with Mdm Halimah Yacob as Guest-of-Honour.
- Launch of new Vision, Mission and Values
- Our teachers Mr M. Gnanasekaran awarded the Most Inspiring Tamil Teacher (MITT) Award and Mr R. Thuraimanikam awarded the MITT Lifetime achievement award.
- Woodlands Secondary School collaboration with North West Community Development Council (NWCDC) and Woodlands Health Campus for its Learning for Life Programme (LLP) ‘Share-A-Pot’ Programme featured in national news.
- School emerges Champion of the Tamil National Debate Series for Secondary
- WDL became National Champions of the Singapore Schools Sports Council National Inter-School Sepak Takraw Tournament for both ‘B’ & ‘C’ Divisions.
- WDL won 2nd position for the Singapore Schools Sports Council/Football Association of Singapore National Inter-School Football Championship for ‘C’ Divisions.
Despite COVID Safe Management Measures, WDL celebrates its 40th anniversary.